IC Centre for Governance

Governance - India

Discussion

Forum Home > Others > EDUCATION:

Vinod K. Maurya

EDUCATION

“Education” is one of the IMPORTANT subjects which need lots of attentions for any society.

I have the following question in my mind:-

• Why we educate our children?
  • What is most motivated thought which force us to send our children to school?
  • How many Kids are know the objective of the hours they spend in school?
  • What is the Goal of Education?

I would be grateful if you could kindly provide the True and Practical Answers

--

Vinod K. Maurya

January 8, 2015 at 3:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Devinder Das Chopra

Why we educate our children? 1. To learn & grow as responsible citizens --knowing how to read & write, and explore their ability to be professionals in the Arts, Sciences, Mathematics, etc., etc.. 2.To choose an area for excellence through higher studies. Thus get acquainted with their natural instincts + what would promte their professional careers & a livlihood. 3, Create a life of dignity to serve their community -- at home or overseas.

What is most motivated thought which forces us to send our children to school? 1.  Learning cum education & sports motivates one to live a life that promotes an ability to compete + choose a career, & earn an honest livlihood & grow as a reponsible + a co-operative citizen. 

How many kids are knowing the objective of the hours they spend in school ? 1. One would guess 50:50 --- depending on the education of their own parents + other close relations/neighbours or peers/friends. 

What is the goal of education ? 1. To create a citizenry that enhances one's income + career. 2. Create a  Quality of Life (literacy cum education are lifelong goals) & an honourable existence. 3. An educated being who can contribute to a neighbourhood / or a community with a sense of commitment to serve one's country. 

--

- Devinder Das Chopra

January 9, 2015 at 7:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kewal sethi

these are tough questions which you have asked.

to my mind the first and the last questions are similar and they can be combined. question 2 and 3 are subjective and will depend on the attitude of the person concerned. most probably the answer would be to make them employable in a good post, the idea of 'good' post varying from person to person.

leaving that apart, we should consider question 1 and 2.

the goal of education is accepted by our scriptures in the phrase 'sa vidya ya vimuktye'. education is that which liberates.

immediately the question arises – liberate from what.

at the spiritual level, the answer would be 'from the cycle of birth and death'.

at a more mundane level, the answer will be ' liberation from anxiety'.

anxiety can be about pure physical needs. to get a good job, to earn enough to meet one's basic necessities both of self and the family, the family being nuclear or extended.

getting a job is not the only way to earn a living. the cultivator, the artisan et al have also avenues for earning a decent return to their labour. their anxiety is about exploitation and they would wish to be liberated from that.

anxiety can be about comfortable life. this goes beyond physical needs. comforts may be about the possession of worldly goods – a good house, a good car, leisure to enjoy,

so far we have talked about why parents want their children to be educated. but there is another angle to consider. why does a person want to educate himself? here we are on a different wavelength altogether. having got the basic education, enough, let us say, to get him on in the world. but some persons like to have more. why?

beyond the satisfaction of physical needs and the routine comforts of life, there is another purpose of life. to my mind, it is the satisfaction of the inner self (and i am not talking of spiritual quest).

some people have urge to help others to achieve their goals. whether it is through charitable institutions or by actively involving oneself in social service is another choice that can be made. (i may mention that politics is also a form of social service – relieving others from want - though in india most of the politicians are there because they consider it as another profession, more paying and more comfortable than others.)

self fulfillment is another goal for some persons. it can take various forms. there was a person who has dome post graduation in twelve different subjects. a friend of mine did post graduation in ancient history after retirement, did his m. phil and is now on way to doing ph.d. another friend, a medical doctor, has now retired and finds satisfaction in painting and teaching others about painting. generation of ideas for those in active service is essential for some of the senior citizens and, for that one has to constantly educate oneself.

--

January 17, 2015 at 5:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Upcoming Events

No upcoming events

Find us on Facebook

Recent Videos

2261 views - 0 comments
2698 views - 0 comments
2447 views - 0 comments

Webpage Translator..